BRIGADIER RANK AND ABOVE OFFICERS OF THE INDIAN ARMY TO WEAR A COMMON UNIFORM
- Different types of uniform and accoutrements have specific association to respective Arms, Regiments and Services in the Indian Army. This recognition with distinct identity within the Arms or Regiment or Services is essential for junior leadership and the rank and file to further strengthen camaraderie, esprit de corps and regimental ethos which is the bedrock of soldiering. At the unit / battalion level, a distinct sense of identity reflects a strong bond among officers and men in the same regiment.
- In order to promote and strengthen common identity and approach in service matters amongst senior leadership, beyond the boundaries of regimentation, the Indian Army has decided to adopt a common uniform for Brigadier and above rank officers irrespective of the parent cadre and appointment. This will also reinforce the Indian Army’s character to be a fair and equitable organisation. The decision was taken after detailed deliberations during the recently concluded Army Commanders Conference and extensive consultations with all stake holders.
- The headgear, shoulder rank badges, gorget patches, belt and shoes of senior officers of flag rank (Brigadier and above) will now be standardised and common. The flag-rank officers will now not wear any lanyard. The changes will be implemented from 01 August 2023.
- In the Indian Army, Brigadier and above officers are those who have already commanded units / battalions and are mostly posted at headquarters / establishments where officers from all Arms and Services work and function together. A standard uniform will ensure a common identity for all senior-rank officers, while reflecting the true ethos of the Indian Army.
- There is no change to the uniform worn by Colonels and below-rank officers.